Thursday, August 29, 2013

If you take it out, put it back!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are more important to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas Moore

My soul truly does feel much more at peace when I have my house in order. The past several years have been the most awaking in this area. Prior to 4ish years ago, I tended to clean for "others". However, I have found the joy and peace it bring to me when I do "if only for me". So although no where near perfect or as consistent as I'd like to be, I have learned and continue to do so in this area. 

The Shakers believed that their daily work, including housekeeping,
 was a personal expression of worship. 

"Prayer and housekeeping - they go together. They have always gone together. We simply know that our daily round is how we live. When we clean and order our homes, we are somehow also cleaning and ordering ourselves." Gunilla Norris

How we care for our home is a subtle but significant expression of self-esteem. 

"If home doesn't make sense, nothing does." Henrietta Ripperger

Getting our houses in order and endowing our children with a respect for, and appreciation of, order is one of the most precious gifts we can give them and ourselves. I appreciate that my mom always kept a tidy and clean home and instilled that value in her children. Although she never made us do dishes and now none of us girls enjoy that chore! :-) Her favorite thing to do is the "anywhere you go game" which just means if you see something that needs put away, then put it away as you go. 

Sanity is preserved with planning!

Have you ever seen one of those plaques that says?

1) If you take it out, put it back. 
2) If you open it, close it. 
3) If you throw it down, pick it up. 
4) If you take it off, hang it up.

"Drudgery can be transformed, through a willing and open heart, into labors of love"....said someone, somewhere, at some time. 

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him....cease from anger and forsake wrath." Psalm 37:7-8

There's no reason to get angry and upset if you aren't where you'd like to be as far as home organization and cleanliness. I'm not there either. But often, not having a plan and daily working at organizing and cleaning various things DOES lead to anger and frustration at yourself and others. 

God worked and then rested....just a thought. :-)

What are some of your favorite tips for keeping up on housework?

No comments:

Post a Comment