Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lord, help me never forget the things You've taught me!

"My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart, for they will give you a long and satisfying life." Proverbs 3:1-2

"Never let loyalty and kindness get away from you! Wear them like a necklace; write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will gain a good reputation." Proverbs 3:3-4

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6


Lord, help me never forget the things that You have taught me. Things I have learned in Sunday School as a child. Sermons preached at camp meetings and college and everyday church....even a few TV sermons along the way. Scripture that I have stored from Your Word. Convictions the Holy Spirit has placed on my heart.

Lord, I desire to store Your commands in my heart. I want to have them in the forefront of my mind. If it's Your will, I would love to live a long and satisfying life. I know that only comes through walking with You in wisdom. Please help me do that.

Lord, I desire to be loyal. To You. To my husband. To my children. To my family. To my church family. To acquaintances. I really want to show kindness to those very same people. I need Your help when it's hard to be kind. When my emotions are raw or my frustration levels are high or it just doesn't seem to matter. I know that You desire me to wear kindness wherever I go. In my home. With my neighbors. With family and friends and strangers alike.  I am aware that having favor with You brings the greatest joy this life can offer. Having favor with people isn't half bad either. Your Word says that a good reputation is more valuable than fine gold. I desire to have a name that people associate with You. Not me. Not because of the things that I've done, but rather a reputation that honors You and points people to You.

Lord, trust isn't always easy. Some things just seem out of my hands. Yet, I know that You "work all things together for good to those who love You and are called according to Your purpose". Your Word never returns void and because of that I know I can trust You. But sometimes "knowing" and "doing" are two separate things. Often completely void of each other. My own wisdom has proven itself lacking, faulty, and in dire need of repair much more often than naught. I need the wisdom that only You can give.

Lord, I desire to seek You and Your will for my life. Have You noticed that I've been saying "if it's Your will" much more lately? Of course You have. I am aware that Your will is SOOOOO much more comprehensive, whole, fulfilling, loving, eternal, and  focused than mine. Mine is short-sited and temporal. Yours sees the big picture and knows what's around the next corner. Maybe I need to get knocked off the horse, so to speak, in order to miss a much bigger trial that would have hit me if I wouldn't have fallen. Or perhaps a blessing is waiting in a most unexpected place that only You know about. I want to trust You. I desire to seek Your will. I want to have Your wisdom, not my own. I fail daily. I fail by the hour and even minute somedays. Yet, You are faithful. Your mercies are new every morning. You have never left me and You promise to never forsake me. I trust that. Really, I do. With all my heart!



No comments:

Post a Comment