Saturday, January 12, 2013

Unglued - My favorite quotes

I just finished reading Unglued: Making Wise Choises in the midst of raw emotions by Lysa TerKeurst.

It was fabulous.

For me anyways.


Here's some of my favorite excerpts: 

pg 13 - I know what it's like to praise God one minute and yell at my child the next. ;-(

pg 15 - Imperfect changes are slow steps of progress wrapped in grace....imperfect progress!

pg 16 - God gave us emotions. Emotions allow us to feel as we experience life. Because we feel, we connect. God gave me emotions so I could experience life, not destroy it! There is a gentle discipline to it all.

pg 16 - It's all about making PROGRESS!

pg 22 - Renewing our minds with God's Word and new thoughts is crucial. New thoughts come from new perspectives. 

pg 23 - I CAN face things that are out of my control and not ACT out of control. 

pg 28 - We can't always fix our circumstances, but we can fix our minds on God

Pg 33 - Labels are awful. They imprision us in categories that are hard to escape. BUT labels only stick if I let them!

pg 34 - O God, chisel me. I don't want to be locked in my hard places forever. I want to be free. I want to be all that You have in mind for me to be. 

"You are a chosen people, a royal preisthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." I Peter 2:9

pg 40 - Perspective: A messy closet does not make me a mess. It makes me a child of God who has a messy closet!

pg 44 - Exploding means pushing emotions outward. A rush of feelings surge up and out of our mouths and bring a whole host of love-lies with them - stern words, harsh looks, raised voices, condemning attitudes, and demonstrative gestures.  

pg 44 - The telltale sign of being an exploder is not the decible level but having REACTIONS that feel good in the moment because it gets the YUCK OUT. But when we realize how we've spewed on others and the hurt we've caused, the regret falls heavy. Yes, we regret exploding, but we'll either deflect that regret by blaming someone else for our actions or we'll ingest that regreat by shaming ourselves. 

pg 46 - Exploders aren't always loud in conveying their point, but they do use their words and tone to make sure the other person FEELS their point. 

pg 52 - Kind. Smart. Important. That's who I am. And that's how I act and react a lot of the time. But not all the time. Especially when I feel unglued and the integrity of my soul unravels. 

pg 52 - Soul integity is the heart of what we're after. Soul integirty is honesty that's Godly. 

pg 53 - In realtiy, some "honesty" is just emotional spewing! That's why we need Godly honesty - honesty reined in by the Holy Spirit. 


http://lysaterkeurst.com/

More of my favorite points tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment