Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Unglued....more things that spoke to me

More quotes from Lysa TerKeurst's book Unglued:

pg 54 - We must bring all of our raw reactions under the authority of Jesus. Our best efforts at human reasoning and will power can't tame us. (See James 3:7-12)

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." James 3:13 - Our words must be spoken in the wisdom that comes from humility!
When we are humble, we realize our honesty can't be one-sided. We make an effort to see the situation from the other person's vantage point. And when we are wise, we pause and measure our words to the get at the heart of the issue without sabotaging the heart of our offender.

pg 64 - The secret to healthy conflict resolution isn't taking an against-me stance, but realizing it's all of us against Satan....he's the real enemy.

Crafting a Graceful Response Template
1. Begin by honoring the one offended. 
2. Keep your response short and full of grace. 
3. End by extending compassion. 

Choosing a gentle reply doesn't mean that you are week; it actually means you posses a rare and Godly strength. (FYI: I know that technically you are not supposed to capitalize the "G" in Godly. However, I switched over to "godly" for a while and just can't do it. So sorry if it bugs you but I am referencing a behavior that is in line with my Father God thus I must capitalize the "G" even in "God'ly'".)

pg 69 - My job is to be obedient to God in the midst of my own set of issues. 

pg 72 - When someone else's actions or statements threaten to pull me into a bad place, I have a choice. I do. It may not feel like it. In fact, it may feel like I'm a slave to my feelings - but I'm not. Feelings are indicators, not dictators. They can indicate there is a situation I need to deal with but they shouldn't dictate  how I react. I have a choice!

pg 73 - The answer to keeping God's power with me and working in me to produce self-control is letting God's Word get inside me.

pg 76 - Sometimes a girl can get worn out, wonder if she's ever going to stop exploding and feel like giving up. But before I give up, I've got to learn to hush up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment